In addition to our adaptive PSR opportunities, we offer Jubilee Music sessions, which help children with special needs to work on social development through musical games and activities. We encourage children of all abilities to participate in Jubilee Music. Children who do not have a diagnosis have just as much to learn, if not more, by having this fun opportunity to befriend peers with special challenges. Jubilee Music, and adaptations within our PSR programs, help encourage our entire parish to better recognize Jesus in everyone and to see how all of us, whether or not we appear to be especially challenged, are all irreplaceably part of God’s amazing plan for building his kingdom of love. To register for Jubilee Music, bring a signed Jubilee Music Registration Form to your first class.
Jubilee Music for Special Needs
is for individuals with and without disabilities
in a wide range of ages and ability levels
There is no charge or fee to attend Jubilee Music Classes. Come join us whenever one of our classes happens to fit in with your schedule. We use musical games and activities as a way to get to know each other, learn to be comfortable with and respectful of differences, and have a great time together!
For many individuals with special needs the enjoyment of musical activities can be used to encourage the development of social skills, communication/conversation skills and the use of sensory strategies to promote calm alertness. At Jubilee Music, children with typical development are encouraged in the development of compassion, respect, and an appreciation of the gifts that come along with differences.
Friends with disabilities are some of the best teachers in helping peers to build these skills and virtues. Teen and adult volunteers are welcome! Teens and adults with disabilities have also been great participants, inspiring everyone as they develop skills that might help pave the way for success in future volunteer work or a job. To register as a volunteer, complete the Teen or Adult Volunteer form on the Registration Forms & Instructions page.
School Year Schedule
- Mondays: 4:00-5:00 pm, meets in the Primary Pod at Queen of Angels (QOA)
- Thursdays: 4:00-5:00 pm, meets in the Choir Room at St. Peter Chanel
- Saturdays: 10:30-11:30 am, meets twice a month in the Choir Room at St. Peter Chanel (SPC)
- Mondays: 3:00-4:00 pm, meets in the Choir Room at St. Peter Chanel
- Saturdays: 10:30-11:30 am, meets in the Choir Room at St. Peter Chanel
For Queen of Angels Participants
QOA students who attend on Mondays and/or Thursdays will stay after school and will go to meet with Jeanne Lyons for Jubilee Music at 3:30 pm.
- From 3:30-4:00 pm, we have snack together (snack is provided) and discuss how to be supportive friends to the kids with special needs who join us for the actual music session from 4:00-5:00 pm.
- Please make sure your child’s teacher knows what days he or she will be staying after school for Jubilee Music. Email is a convenient way to inform the teacher.
For Participants Who Do Not Attend Queen of Angels
Directions to Primary Pod (Mondays): As you face the front of Queen of Angels school, you'll see that the gym is on the right-hand side. As you walk along the right side of the school, you will pass by three doors that open into the gym. Knock on the the fourth door (just past the school store), and an after-school program teacher will let you in. Tell you you're there for Jubilee Music, and she will get you to the correct room.
For All Participants
- Monday Pick Up: Shortly after 5:00 pm, the students will be walked outside through the door near the art room to meet their parents.
- Directions to Choir Room (Thursdays & Saturdays): The choir room is across from where the elevator and stairwell open onto the second floor at St. Peter Chanel.
- Thursday & Saturday Pick Up: Please come upstairs to the choir room by 5:00 pm to meet your child(ren).